Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Tech... Tech... Tech...

The last few days at The Barn are getting progressively better.  Yesterday we ran almost the whole show with light cues and some sound.  It's going to be great when it's finished. We just gotta finish it.

This show is another example of why I need to make the effort to get things done ahead of time.  I'm cramming now to get thing accomplished.  It sucks not having much help.  However it will all get done.

Yesterday started out rough.  I'd decided the day before that I was only going to work half a day so I could get some quality alone time in the theater.  Ran by R&R to pick up gel and a motor for the mirror ball.  Mr. Blondie had a migraine the night before and was still feeling the affects.  So after I left R&R I went to his office to switch cars.  His a/c doesn't work. 

I get to The Barn and discover I have everything except the gel.  I'd left that in the trunk.  This is now the second time I've gone out of my way to get gel, just to find I'd left it somewhere.  Demmit. 

When I checked in with the front desk at The Barn, I'm chatting a little with the gal at the desk.  Ticket sales are looking good.  She says it looks like we'll have a nice group for Thursday.  Um, Thursday?  Apparently we're having a preview audience.  Really?  Am I that asleep at the switch that I missed this memo?  I realize it's not supposed to be a perfect show - it's our final dress.  However, that changes the urgency of getting things accomplished.  To us it basically feels like we lost a day. 

So I've managed to keep my cool and not completely freak when I start wrapping up the conversation to head upstairs.  She asks me how things are coming - slow, but we're getting there.  Help should start trickling in over the next hour so we should be able to get a lot done.  She stops mid breath to look at the calendar.  There is a class scheduled from 330p - 5p in the theater.  WHAT?!?  Now I'm really panicking, and still trying not to shoot the messenger.   I tell her that it was our understanding that we would have the space to ourselves this entire week, anytime.  She looks at one calendar - nothing on it but us.  Then another calendar shows the class.  She says she'll move the class to a different area of The Barn.  I tell her that I'm happy (I use that word loosely) to call off the troops - the last thing I need is the theater manager ripping into me about bumping another group.  She assured me that it wouldn't be a problem and he wouldn't give me trouble.

Background: I told the theater manager two months ago that we always seem to have conflicting reports regarding when we have the space and when we don't.  I mentioned that there was more than one calendar, and he berated me for even suggesting it.  Well, here's a perfect example of what I'm talking about.  I'm trying not to sound upset or shoot the messenger, but at the same time give me a break.  At this point I know more about how that facility is run than he does, and it's his full time job. Ugh.

The run went well.  Some of the cues looked horrendous, but some were completely fantastic.  I still have a ton of work to do, so I'm going to the theater right after work.  In the meantime, I've got my eyes closed as I type.  I'm hurting...

No comments:

Post a Comment